Friday, October 17, 2014

Facing your Fears - The Debating Kickoff

Facing your Fears
The Debating Kickoff

I registered for the Debating society and had forgotten about it, as I wasn’t really keen about the whole thing. The lack of interest wasn't because I didn’t know anything or wasn’t sure of making a good argument, as I am very good at that. I was apprehensive about the whole thing because I prefer to sit in a group and comment from there rather than be on stage. I had tried it in school and discovered I was very bad at it; in the sense that I had a phobia of public speaking - speaking in front of an audience. It was because of this fear, that whenever I was on stage, I said everything very fast which resulted in me forgetting some of the things that I needed to say! It was because of this that I never could got the confidence and just started ignoring it. I felt I got better at it after studying for the UPSC and having discussions on various topics and stuff, but I had not really tested my skills. That went on for years and then I registered for the debating society at the University of Westminster, London. I am not sure why I did it, as I had forgotten until I received an email about the 1st session. I was trying to find reasons not to go, but finally went. I was like let’s go and see what it is. I don’t have to speak as who makes one speak on the 1st day! Well! I was just working on my own confidence and consoling myself!
So there I was sitting in the last row. The hall filled up very fast, and this was something I had not expected. I watched the scenario while talking to the girl besides me. She was from Zimbabwe, studying Property development or something related to that. The session started with Jim - the president of the debating society of the University of Westminster introducing himself, his colleagues and the society and what all we would be doing in general. He had taken part in the World Advocacy Debate in Germany, the world’s most prestigious competition. That was impressive; and he spoke with that experience, displaying immense that confidence. They started by showing us a clip from ‘The Kings Speech’, to try and lessen our fears and to boost the confidence of people like me. I guess that everyone can speak and will get better with time and practice!
Then they explained how debates are conducted.. It was fascinating for me, something I had not at all expected. The debate was going to be in the British parliamentary style, the way it actually happens in the Parliament. Four groups, 2 on the government side and 2 on opposition side with 2 people in each group. The sequence of debating goes as follows -


  
So it was pretty clear who will speak when. There was a dummy debate to set the mood in the hall. The audience was divided into two groups and we just had open arguments which made the energy flow. Then the call for people who wanted to volunteer to speak came and everyone was not really enthusiastic. This made me relax a bit as I guess I  felt it’s ok as no one really seems to have any experience; except for a few. Jim emphasized on how important it is to start and it doesn’t matter if you don’t know how to speak and if you have never spoken before.  So then there were a few volunteers. We were paired-up for the debate and given 15 minutes to prepare for the motion. It started and we were well prepared, or that’s what I thought. The real fun was when I spoke. I had good points to speak about and 5 minutes to talk and make counter arguments (rebuttals) and take question. I finished everything in like two and half minutes. We were given 10 minutes after which the results were announced. We got our feedback and mine was not so good as I had already presumed. The points I know were pretty good, but my apprehensions and fears had dominated the whole scenario. The thorough feedback about teams, how to develop your argument and why and who stood 1st 2nd and all was good. The best part being the personal feedback which Jim gave, it showed his dedication and how seriously he took his work.  This was very motivating and it was the push required for me to take debating seriously.  
He announced that the years 1st competition in UK was to be held at UCL during the weekend and urged us to take part in it. He reiterated the fact that it was for novices, that is people who do not have a prior experience of UK parliamentary debating over a year. I was wondering whether to take part or not and then he mentioned that the earlier you speak the earlier you learn and get better. So I was like what better event to start than the UK educational years 1st competition!
I was paired with a guy for the UK, who was good, calmer and more precise than I was so I guess it was a good balance. We went to the competition on Saturday, both new to debating. The competition was a great learning experience. We did not do well at all, but learned so much. Every round was a new learning experience. The 4 rounds were designed in such a way that we got to be at all four positions shown in the above diagram. So literally we were learning round after round, and trying to use it in the next round which was again wrong, as every position had its specific job, as in what to speak and how to speak. This was amazing as students from almost 30 universities had taken part in it with around 80 teams. So I got to learn from everyone. I also met new people, made some friends, that also being the main aim of the social get-together after the event.
It was an amazing experience. I learned so much, and finally got rid of my fear of Public speaking. Yes, maybe not altogether, but I am now on the road to improvement. Every debate I take part, I got better, which was visible to me as well as those around me. My confidence got a boost when I was voted the best speaker in the group by people in the audience, other students who did not take part and were spectators, during our next practice session. Not by Jim and I knew why. Even though I was voted for, I knew where I had messed up and where I had to improve.
I got over the fear and anxiety of public speaking and that‘s going to be one of the biggest boosts of my life over the years. These things like facing your fears, tackling them and rising above it give me immense pleasure and confidence. So as far as I am concerned I will be taking part in all the debating competitions possible hereafter.
 I now get the true meaning of what Eleanor Roosevelt has said,-
“You gain strength courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop and look fear in the face. You must do the things which you think you cannot do.”

One might think it was just debating, public speaking what’s the big deal. It was for me, it was one of my biggest fears, phobias just like darkness. Darkness now, well I am in love with it, and I am getting the same feeling about this. I know that as time passes by, I am going to get better and better and that’s a great feeling.!.

No comments:

Post a Comment